8.04.2013

Meet Bonsai



 Meet Bonsai.

Ever get into something that you didn’t know much about? Yep. That’s me. I am that person (the one who buys a cute plant from an Asian lady selling them on the side of the road one day after church).

Apparently the plant is a lot harder to take care of than any plant should be I thought. A lot harder. Reading articles and watching informational videos about the art of bonsai growing kinda made my heart sink. This is going to be harder than I anticipated…

I couldn’t help but think that it’s kinda like what God calls us to do. He calls normal, everyday people to do incredible things. However, a misconception that people often have is that they think because God calls them to do something it will be easy. Although God works through circumstances, people and other incidents, that doesn’t mean it will be easy. Easy is not what he calls us to.
 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 (emphasis, mine)

Even when you are called to create something or start something, whether it be a non profit, specific ministry outreach or just a simple Bible study, you can't always expect the pieces just to fall into place. It'll take work. Remember, God doesn't need you to do what he wants to do. He is choosing to work through you. He is where you draw your strength from.

"But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."  2  Corinthians 12:9-10

Don't fall into the trap: "God I'll do all the work and everything will fit together nicely and all I have to do is stand there and tell people about it and there wont be any times when I'm frustrated or mad or discouraged or times when God feels distant, it will all be rainbows and sunshine!"
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters." Colossians 3:23
 
"For this slight and momentary affliction is preparing us for an eternal weight of glory that is beyond all measure.” 2 Corinthians 4:16

This post doesn't say exactly what I want it to I don't think, but maybe I'll get it next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment