1.12.2014

The Choice of Prayer

Some days, you really feel like writing. Others, you don't. Right now I am sooooo out of it for whatever reason, and can hardly keep my head up. I think it's all these choices I have to make. Especially those where you have only hours or minutes to decide. Sometimes the best I can do is take a deep breath and pray.

Speaking of prayer, I was reminded of a responsibility that I have, that we have, as Christians. Sharing with one another in prayer.

I got to do this on the Sunday our church calls Love Shelbyville--our service day to the community (http://www.loveshelbyville.com/blog/). Most members and guests go out into the community and serve in various ways, but a group also stays at the school (yes, our church meets in a school right now--we got to pray in a 2nd grade classroom) and prays. That's what I got to be apart of this Love Shelbyville day. A lot of sharing went on in the group and I was burdened for all these people that were lifted up in requests (most of those lifted up don't even know that they are being prayed over) and for the people in the group who love those they pray for.

"Bear one another's burdens, as to full fill the law of Christ."
Galatians 6:2

"Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working."
James 5:13-16

How good does it feel that when you exchange prayer request cards and yours goes to someone who you know has a faith of a prayer warrior and will pray much for your long list of concerns?

If this is how I feel when I know someone strong in their faith gets my card, how much more safe do I feel when I finally understand that God holds the before, the after and the outcome?

This is the kind of relationship I have with my church family, and I can't even begin to say how thankful I am for their guidance, prayers, and that they are the examples that they are. I learn so much from them about smiling and about love and about sharing life. Seriously, moments like these, praying in a class room with these people that I've gotten to know is one of the things I miss most when I'm away. The only thing that keep me from being too sad is that fact that I have been placed in another church at school that loves me and it's community too.

The thing is, this all comes to pass--and we have the choice to pray about it. A time between you and your Savior where you can just let go of your life and all of who you struggle to be. Lifting up all these needs and wants and desires is a time to empty yourself out to Him Who Keeps You Safe. He will take care of them.


2 comments:

  1. I totally forgot to ask you how the prayer group went. Sorry about that.

    I want to pray more, just in general. Prayer seems as if to not be as important our lives as I think it really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha well, as you can see it went well. And I agree, it should be an inseparable part of our day, our life.

    ReplyDelete