2.19.2014

The State of Your Soul



So the other day, I found out something else about prayer. I'm sure it has been said before, but I can't think of another way to say it--prayer is a state of the soul. It was early one morning as I was going to prayer meeting, where we pray, and I asked God to prepare me for this time. It was a prayer just said, nothing utterly super profound about it, and I'm not really sure what I was expecting.

The more you pray though, the more your belief increases. You just feel this close communion that you can't describe any other way. Well, it's one of those moments when your soul gets quiet. It is still. Resting in the present, where you are, with who you are. This is the time for prayer. When all the noise has gone out of you--when you are focused and can hear God speak, speak to your heart. It was then in that peace that I realized God had answered my prayer, one said only a few moments before. I never even realized how much I needed it too--the preparation to have a heart and soul of serious, wonderful prayer.

I also learned that prayer is supposed to be long. Long and all consuming...not that it can't be short, but a long prayer is a good prayer. One where your soul dives deep into the words in the Word and God's love and grace and protection.

Take this time you have after reading--I know you have some, it's just how you manage it--or another time this day to pray for a long time. As much as you want to--more than you want to. Just be able to sit in the presence of God, the Glorious One, and wait and be still and quiet.


"Instead, I am content and at peace. As a child lies quietly in its mother's arms, so my heart is quiet within me."
Psalms 131:2


No comments:

Post a Comment