4.04.2015

When You Get THAT News...



Everybody's had "those talks", the ones where news has to be delivered....sometimes it's the elephant in the room, or maybe it is something new entirely. 

Several times I've gotten news like this and my reaction has been different every time. It usually was the phrase "We're moving". 

Those days have long since passed. Since I'm in school now and my home has transitioned to there, where I've been most, it hasn't been a worry. I go to school and come home occasionally, all the while stumbling through the growing up process wherever I find myself.

However, thinking you're outta the clear is probably one of the most dangerous things in life. So what happened? The news this time wasn't "We're moving" as in us as a family, it was my parents saying "We are moving to Florida..."


Far, far away Florida. 


At the time of this news and even now, I understand that when God calls you somewhere, you must obey. That is why we have been blessed the other times we've moved--we've obeyed without hesitation when we feel the call is from the Lord. 

Still, when I think about it words like separation, leaving, loss, isolation, gone, parted and asunder all come to mind. 

I'm reminded that salvation cost a perfect life, so moving and uprooting your life is certainly pale in comparison. Even though this is truth, it's taken awhile to get past the icky feelings of pride and entitlement and feeling like the whole thing is an injustice. 

 While we may be called to a certain place, here or overseas, the part that doesn't change is that we as Christ-followers are called to pick up our cross and follow Jesus every single day. Matthew 16:24-26.

Picking up your cross can look impossible. It can look scary and hard and unfamiliar. It can look sunny and warm and full of unknowns as plentiful as the sand everywhere. Or it can look like staying behind and making the place you go to school your official home and seeing family a lot less. 


"Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
    for his compassions never fail.
 They are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness."

Lamentations 3:22-23


I write this as new paint is being applied to the house and boxes and packing paper are starting to appear. Furniture is disappearing and the walls have become bare. 

It's happening soon.






No comments:

Post a Comment